What does an overnight mask do?
- At night time the skin cell turnover, the production of collagen, and the process of skin renewal escalate. This process occurs between the hours of 10 pm and 2 am when the skin’s metabolism increases. An overnight mask adds assistance to this renewal process and is more potent. It is designed to deeply penetrate the skin as you sleep working as a barrier and a sealant to boost hydration and nourishment.
- The hydration level of your skin rebalances and the skin is able to increase moisture in the skin and remove excess moisture if required. Keeping the skin hydrated is a key factor in combating skin aging and the development of wrinkles and fine lines.
- The night creams are designed to be more potent for the skin and offer a larger boost of intense hydration and add an additional boost of moisture and nourishment while you sleep.
How do you use an overnight mask?
Most people use sleep masks once or twice a week. It all depends on the condition of your skin and what you would like to achieve.
- At the last step of your skincare routine at night apply an adequate amount of the sleep mask to your face
- Leave it on for around 30 minutes if you can and then go to sleep. This helps absorb into the skin and prevents it from smearing onto your pillowcase.
- When you wake up wash it off and reveal smoother, moisturised, and brighter skin!
Note: Since you leave nighttime sleep masks on for a long time ensure you do an allergy test beforehand. Sleep creams are usually gentle but you still want to be careful.
Who should use an overnight sleeping mask?
- Anyone can benefit from the awesomeness of night masks and creams. They are perfect to boost skin smoothness and hydration for whenever your skin feels dull and dry.
- As we age the skin’s hydration levels start to reduce so overnight masks are a great benefit for older adults.
- It’s a great addition to your skin routine in the winter months or dryer climates that lack humidity when temperatures drop and moisture levels in the skin easily reduce.
What are the key ingredients to a sleep mask?
Peptides, ceramides, and hyaluronic acid are common ingredients found in sleep masks and creams. They are great for increasing the production of collagen which increases and locks in moisture for a long time while also decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Sleep tips that also help the skin!
- Have a sleep schedule routine and try to maintain it. Go to sleep at the same time each night and wake up at the same time.
- Have a good quality
- Put away the devices a decent time before you go to sleep. Try an activity before you go to sleep.
- Try not to take a day nap as this can disrupt a good night’s sleep.
- Keep your bedroom sleep healthy. You need a bedroom that has a good temperature and is dark. Don’t put any devices such as TV’s or bright lights in your room as this will
- For summer hot nights a ceiling fan, an assist and isn’t as drying like AC’s
- Try and avoid eating large meals at night.
- Reduce drinking alcohol before you go to sleep as this can interfere with your sleep health.
- Avoid cigarettes at all costs and try to quit if you can and if have to try and avoid smoking before you sleep.
- You may suffer from sleep apnea or insomnia and may need to see a sleep specialist or a doctor investigate the causes and treatments available.